Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Anniversary of a Miracle *See note at bottom of post

Or at least the beginning of a miracle. One year ago, on May 19, Kamiryn's fingers were crushed while on a school field trip. I wrote about it here and here. I thought you might like to know how she is doing one year later.

After her fingers where crushed, Kamiryn kept her fingers bandaged and
wrapped for
4 weeks.

She was a really good sport about it.




At the one month mark Kamiryn's bandages were removed. The healing that had taken place was remarkable and miraculous, but it was still very hard for this mama to see. Kamiryn however, declared her fingers BEAUTIFUL and was absolutely thrilled to see the smallest little bit of nail growing on her index finger and the presence of a nail bed on her middle finger.
I was still skeptical. I just don't have the faith of a little child
(I'm working on it and this has taught me so very much).
She needed to keep the band aids on for several more weeks and again she did a
great job keeping her fingers protected and dry.


At six weeks Kamiryn's fingers looked great, but that big ridge in the center of her middle finger still made my heart ache. She would be permanently scarred. It is just a finger yes, but it is the finger of my Kami Zo girl. She continued to have amazing faith and was certain that beautifully painted nails were in her future.


I learned so many amazing lessons throughout this entire experience, but I will never forget Kamiryn's amazing faith. To her it was just so simple. She prayed for healing. She prayed for fingernails. It didn't matter that her middle finger was split through the nail bed. It didn't matter that you could see bone on both fingers. It didn't matter that the doctor said that she would permanently be missing one or both fingernails. What mattered to Kamiryn was that she prayed. She asked Heavenly Father for fingernails. It was as simple as that.
From the moment of that prayer she KNEW that she would have fingernails to paint.
She knew that they would be beautiful.
She was right.



*Note: I've had this saved as a draft since early April. I really did mean to post this on May 19. Life just gets in the way.

4 comments:

Lori said...

That was an amazing miracle for all of us to witness. She had such conviction the whole time. It wasn't a matter of if they would heal...it was a matter of when. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who is mindful of us all and wants us to be happy. That Kamiryn girl is amazing....just like her Mama.

Nae said...

I have tears streaming down my face. I feel so blessed that Kamiryn was able to show us all this example of true faith and love. Her fingernails are lovely, but only show a portion of her beauty because her heart is absolutely breathtaking! May God continue to Bless Kami and her family!

Darrel B said...

Years ago I was called to the hospital to assist with a priesthood blessing. A young mother-to-be had lost her unborn baby. Heartache and despair hung in the hospital room as the young couple that I home taught grieved their loss. Amongst tears and anguish, a priesthood blessing was given. My heart ached for my two friends in the gospel who longed for a family, but were uncertain whether they would ever have children. ---- Fifteen years later my heart is warmed as I read, “Anniversary of a Miracle”. Passing years have robbed the “young” designation from this couple, but replaced it with four beautiful daughters…., four daughters who are being raised in a home where love is abundant and faith is nutured, as evidenced by Kami’s miracle.

the mom~ said...

nothing short of a miracle indeed!