Tuesday, April 9, 2013

General Conference Recap..........with PICTURES!!!!


I love that everyone that knows me also knows how much I love General Conference weekends. These two weekends a year are truly my favorite. I love that we are all together with no other commitments.....just doing our thing all in the same space listening, watching, absorbing. Soaking in the encouragement, life lessons, gospel instruction and funny stories that we can use in our lives to buoy us up and propel us onward in the journey of life. As you can see we keep it very casual and low key.
I knew a family once that dressed their small children all in Sunday clothes and lined them up on a bench to sit quietly for each two hour session. No judgements......that approach is just not for us. We have a fun and relaxed regime for the weekend. Come as you are.........just come. And who wouldn't want to be there??? Cinnamon roll and skittles are traditional weekend fare along with lots of fruits and snacks and always yummy suppers. More than anything I want to develop memories and traditions surrounding conference that draw my children in, not push them away. I need these weekends so very much and I want my children to have this in their lives as a source of renewal, reprieve and re-connection to what is important and essential. The words of God through his trusted Prophet and Apostles and time with family. What could be better???
So here I will share with you excerpts from three of my favorite talks.
I know you were itching to ask......
:)
I really loved this one.....For Peace at Home by Elder Richard G. Scott. He says, "Be certain that every decision you make, whether temporal or spiritual, is conditioned on what the Savior would have you do. When He is the center of your home, there is peace and serenity. There is a spirit of assurance that pervades the home, and it is felt by all who dwell there.Be certain that every decision you make, whether temporal or spiritual, is conditioned on what the Savior would have you do. When He is the center of your home, there is peace and serenity. There is a spirit of assurance that pervades the home, and it is felt by all who dwell there."
Another great talk is President Monson's talk about obedience. Obedience Brings Blessings. He shared some great stories that all of us loved. We will all mess up in this life, but we need to keep trying. Obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel truly blesses us....in this life and in the eternities. Pres. Monson said, "My brothers and sisters, the great test of this life is obedience. “We will prove them herewith,” said the Lord, “to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them.”10

I really do have more that three favorites but here is the last one that I will share with you.
Being Accepted of the Lord by Elder Erich W. Kopischkev. In his talk he states, "The feeling of being accepted by someone we love is a basic human need. Being accepted by good people motivates us. It increases our sense of self-worth and self-confidence. Those who cannot find acceptance from desirable sources often seek it elsewhere. They may look to people who are not interested in their well-being. They may attach themselves to false friends and do questionable things to try to receive the acknowledgment they are seeking. They may seek acceptance by wearing a particular brand of clothing to generate a feeling of belonging or status. For some, striving for a role or a position of prominence can also be a way of seeking acceptance. They may define their worth by a position they hold or status they obtain."............................."Seeking acceptance from the wrong sources or for incorrect reasons puts us on a dangerous path—one that is likely to lead us astray and even to destruction. Instead of feeling cherished and self-confident, we will eventually feel abandoned and inferior.".........................................."The ultimate source of empowerment and lasting acceptance is our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. They know us. They love us. They do not accept us because of our title or position. They do not look at our status. They look into our hearts. They accept us for who we are and what we are striving to become. Seeking and receiving acceptance from Them will always lift and encourage us."

Beautiful words! I love the extra help in my life that these words bring. I feel like I can go forth and do more.....be a better me. In addition to daily scripture study these words from the leaders of our church sustain and uplift me.
What sources do you look to for encouragement in your life?

2 comments:

Lori said...

I loved so many talks this year. I look forward to conference so much that we refer it to Super Bowl Weekend. Good food and fuel for my spirit, what could be better?

Lori said...

I loved so many talks this year. I look forward to conference so much that we refer it to Super Bowl Weekend. Good food and fuel for my spirit, what could be better?