Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Long Long Time Ago

I don't know how many generations in my family that this tradition goes back, but I know that my Grandma took me to the cemetery on Memorial day and that her Aunt Ellen took her. We try to go every year with the Ness', my mom and my dad Lloyd.
It is something that we look forward to.

We do not have any family buried here in town, but we go to this particular cemetery because it is quiet, not far from home and there are several children's graves. There is one grave in particular marked simply Baby Boy. Every year my mom takes special care in cleaning this grave site in honor of my son Joshua that we lost in 1994.



While we clean we tell stories, visit and wonder about the history and lives of those whose graves we are tending to. I also use this time to inwardly reflect on the lives of loved ones that have passed before us and to be grateful for the gospel plan that gives us the opportunity to reunite with them on the other side of the veil.


The kids help for a bit......and then some of them run off to play hide and seek or go exploring. Some of them stick around for a snuggle.


After we have cleaned for a while we round up all of our tools and have a picnic lunch. It is always a good time and I am grateful to be making these memories with my family and carrying on a Grandma Raynor tradition. Every time I do something that she did or that I know she would do I feel close to her and know that I am keeping her memory alive. I am ever so grateful to my Grandma for passing this tradition along to us.



This year we added something new to our tradition. Several of the cousins in Derek's family pitched in and purchased a memorial flag to honor Derek's grandpa, Web Messer. This was the first time that the flag was displayed, so we set off to find it.



The walk of flags is truly an extraordinary sight, I love to see all of the flags displayed throughout our town in honor of all the men and women that have sacrificed so much to preserve our freedoms.


I know that many others keep this tradition as well. Is this something that you and your family do as well? What Memorial Day traditions (if any) do you observe?

4 comments:

Lori said...

What a great tradition. Your grandma would be so proud!!

the mom~ said...

Ummm, i do the same as you :)

Nae said...

Love your traditions and family bonding time. It will be something that each of your girls will pass on to their own families. Your grandma Reiner has got to be so proud of you!

beshellauk said...

Looks like you guys had fun. We never had a picnic, what a good idea. When is Memorial Day. I have been away for soooooooooooo long? Grandma would of had fun. Love, aunt Tammy