Friday, July 2, 2010

Eat them up, YUM!

We try to go strawberry picking every year. Sometimes we make it and sometimes we aren't as successful. This year I am working outside the home and am having a little difficulty finding balance. I woke up Wednesday morning and suddenly remembered that it was picking time out at Johnson's and that day seemed as good as any. There was very little planning involved. In fact I picked up the 2 older girls from swim at 9:00am and announced that we were going strawberry picking.


They weren't super happy and not at all dramatic about this (as they were starving and exhausted) but I bribed them with giant muffins from Perkins after the picking was completed. It worked. We went. We picked. And picked. They were happy.



We talked. A lot. It was a great chance to visit, share and catch up. We had a great time.


Madi was the expert picker. She quickly filled her bucket, helped her sisters and still had time to run off and explore. She found what she thought was a beaver in a nearby slough, but it turned out to be a muskrat. She was still very excited about her discovery.


Dani was our slowest picker as she would only put the most perfect of specimens in her bucket. They had to be just the right shape, color, shade and ripeness to be selected by her. She was picking just ahead of me....I followed behind and found lots of berries that passed my test. Not too green and not mushy.


Then I forced my girls to sit together and smile. Dani was the only good kid.
It has been our theme of the week.


Finally Kamiryn threw herself down in the aisle and declared that she couldn't go on was just too tired to pick another berry. It's a good thing she's not too dramatic.


Before too long we were done. We filled five buckets full of red, ripe, juicy strawberries.
Time to go home and make stuff. Yum.

5 comments:

Lori said...

This, I love!! That Kamiryn girl has my heart. That is exactly what I would do. Not too dramatic....just enough so everyone knows where she stands!!! hahahahaha

maggie said...

Yum!

I understand the swim thing.....the girls I watch are the same way, they have to come home and take a nap at 9 after swimming since 7!

Melissa said...

oh the drama with GIRLS!

tootles said...

How fun ! I love how you are making all these fab memories with your kiddos !
Luke is exactly like Dani - last yr. Sara and I were half done and he says " Mom, what color of red, how big of berry " he had 6 in his bucket ! They have discriminating taste - a good quality, I think...

the mom~ said...

Yah, your blog paints a different picture than the real life version the girls told me...LOL