Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Smoothie a Day

As soon as we start getting affordable fresh fruit in the grocery store each spring (that doesn't cost $5 a pound) I start making smoothies again. We love smoothies every summer and miss them when fruit is out of season or way too expensive. I don't follow any smoothie recipes and it is different just about every time. I use whatever fruit I have on hand including fresh strawberries, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines and canned pineapple. If I am not using any frozen fruit then I add a few ice cubes. I also like using a little bit of frozen juice or lemonade concentrate. Sherbet is good too. For the liquid I have used milk, water and juice. Our smoothies are almost always delicious, but we have found a few favorites. Yesterday's was particularly yummy. I thought I'd preserve the "recipe" here in case I want to make it this same way again and at the same time share it with all of you.
1 can of pineapple chunks with juice
2 bananas
1-11/2 C. frozen strawberries
1/2 C. water
1-2 tsp. frozen pineapple juice concentrate
Blend and serve. Yum.
This is enough for about 6 servings or so. Adjust to meet the needs of your family.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

That looks delicious! I love all that yummy color.

Lori said...

Yum...I need to try this.

Debra said...

Looks so yummy and refreshing!

the mom~ said...

YUM is right!!!

beshellauk said...

It sounds really nice!!!!!! When we were kids grandma use to make us shakes. One that stands out, peanut butter with vanilla ice cream!!!!!!