Today I taught a lesson in Relief Society about friendship (lesson 40 from the Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith manual). It is a really good lesson. There is a Joseph Smith quote from the lesson that I really like.
"Friendship is one of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism; it is designed to revolutionize and civilize the world, and cause wars and contentions to cease and men to become friends and brothers".
I also love this scripture:
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13.
I love my friends. I have some of the very best friends that God has ever created....I am just sure of it. We would give our lives for each other if called upon. (Well most of us.) Just like the lesson says, I have friends that are faithful, long-suffering, always there for me, never judging, and true to the end. Many years ago Derek and I were seeing a marriage counselor and I was telling her all the things that my husband was not. She told me that he was just fine. She said to me...."you need girlfriends."
And so I found me some.
The women I have supporting, encouraging, and loving me in my life right now have saved me in more ways than one. I KNOW that Heavenly Father answers prayers and I know that he often times does that through directing us to help each other. I am so very grateful that my friends love God and love me.
Really what I started out thinking about were some of my five-minute-friends. Do you know them? Well of course you don't know mine, but maybe you have some of your own. My most recent fmf is Jane. We met in the campground bathroom in Itasca. (don't judge). She was getting ready to go for a run and I had to let her know I am a new runner. Women all over the world share a sisterhood of hobbies where the simplest of things will unite us. Scrapbookers, knitters, quilters, homeschoolers, runners, missionary mom's, etc..... We band together under common bonds. And so it was with Jane in Itasca. We shared condensed versions of our life stories and what led us to running. I will probably not ever see her again beyond that day, but for a brief time she was my friend. Another fmf was a lesbian woman named Sue. She sat next to me on the plane ride from L.A. to Denver (or somewhere) when I flew home from Mom T.'s funeral. We were about as opposite as could be, but she listened to me bear my testimony of a Loving God and His son who is the Savior of mankind. She didn't scoff or judge. She told me all about her childhood and how hard it is to be a female general contractor for residential construction in L.A. She asked me about being a wife, mom and teacher. She listened. I will not ever talk with Sue again, but for that brief time she was my friend. I remember many more fmf. The ultra sound technician that performed the 2 hour ultrasound that is needed to confirm a fetal demise before I was induced to give birth to Joshua. The nurse that let me help her wash Mom T.'s hair and do all 5 steps of her Mary Kay skin care routine the day before she passed away. There are women that I have met at Education Week, women's conferences, waiting rooms, mom's groups and stores.
Of course I treasure and cherish the friendships that have lasted longer than five minutes and those that lasted for a time but are now just Christmas card acquaintances. My most treasured friendships are those that I know will last forever. Those of my family and closest friends. I love all of you so very much. But I know that my life has also been enriched by my five-minute-friends.
Kewpie
3 days ago


3 comments:
Totally cool...now you have me thinking of my FMF's. I will have to get back to you on who they are...right now I'm high on paint fumes...thanks for being for than a FMF to me! Love you!
I am SO thankful that you and I are in the forever friend category. I would be lost without you. Until reading this, I thought I was crazy to make quickie friendships like that. I have even made a friend like that in the dressing room at Penney's. So weird. Without girlfriends in my life...I would probably drive my DH CRAZY!!!
Heather, you could have been my FMF the night we met to scrapbook, but so glad you quickly morphed into my forever friend. Thanks for the great perspective about the value of FMF's in our lives.
Post a Comment