Monday, June 29, 2015

Letting go

I have finally entered the smart phone world. Last week I became the proud (and sometimes confused and frustrated) new owner of my first iPhone. I usually detest the learning curve that comes with new technology, but this hasn't been TOO bad because we have had an iPad for 2 years which I had a lot of help learning and getting used to.
Anyway. New phone.
Which means out with the old "dumb" phone.
The problem?
My texts didn't switch over with my contacts and I am so sad about losing some extra special gems from my girlies.
Like on my last birthday when I hadn't heard from Danelle all day.
So I texted and said "HELLO!?!" and she replied "what's up?". I said "oh, you know....just MY BIRTHDAY!". She replies with "Yeah, we already called you. Happy being expelled from Grandmom's womb day."
Ugh!
Wish I hadn't read THAT while standing in line for Indiana Jones at Disneyland!
Then there is the text from Madison where she very badly misspelled quesadilla. I corrected her and she texted back "WHAT?!?!?" and then "*stares at phone with a disbelieving glare*".
Messages like these totally make my day!
I have the most saved from Miranda. It is probably a combination of her sending more and the fact that she is leaving sooner and I am holding on tighter. 
I have a text from March 24, 2014 that says "You are the BEST! Thank you so much for taking care of my water bottle. Love you!" Her favorite water bottle had mold growing in the soft plastic drinking spout. She left it on the kitchen counter for her to deal with later and I boiled and scrubbed it for her. I loved that she noticed and was so very appreciative.
I also have a few saved that I have sent to her. Proof that bad times do not last forever. ON May 20, 2014 I said "I am very sorry that you are feeling blue. I really and truly do LOVE YOU!" She had just finished her Junior year of high school/freshman year at M-state and was mourning the school year being over. She always has a tough time with the transitions and was having some friendship issues and struggling with relationships in general. It got worse before it got better. Six days later I sent her this "I am SOOOO VERY SORRY that you are sad. I truly wish I could fix this. There just isn't a way to make it ALL better in this life. It is part of the ride on planet earth. Pour your heart out to Heavenly Father. Rely on the atonement. It really does work. I LOVE YOU!!!!!" Then a few weeks later "YOUUUUU ARE FABULOUS! SMART! BEAUTIFUL! HARD WORKING! LOYAL! Don't. Don't. Don't be jealous of your sister! You have fabulousness that she doesn't. You two are different. That's all." Luckily that was just a quick minute of comparison gone wrong. It happens to the best of us!
Now, a year later it is amazing to see how it all worked out. Her last year of high school she joined choir and had a lead role in 3 plays/productions. She developed talents and now has a  deeper love for music, singing, acting and performing. She would also like to try directing.  She has made and sustained fabulous friendships and graduated with honors. She is working every day at the Daily Journal and putting in hours at the library. She will also life guard at Pebble in July and August and then at the YMCA in the fall.
Last week she opened her mission papers and is in the process of filling out the application. She will submit her papers in September and her plan is to leave on her mission in January.
I love these little reminders that it isn't always easy. Life can be hard. Really rough sometimes but it does get easier. At least for a little bit. Long enough to look around, reflect and be grateful for the growth and perspective that the tough times provide.
Apologies and owning our mistakes ALWAYS helps. Like this golden nugget from this past December 28, "Sorry I was a brat this morning. I LOVE YOU."
Yeah. Letting go is hard.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love this post!! And I love you!! You are so wise. I love watching you guide your girls through this crazy life. You are such a good mama!! I miss you!!

Wendy said...


Sweet memories. Wow! A missionary so soon? That is amazing and awesome and terrifing.