Derek and I were married in July of 1991.
Miranda joined our family on January 15 1997, five and half years later.
We waited so long for a baby and were beyond delighted to have her join us.
Miranda gave us glimpses of her personality right from the beginning and it is amazing to me to see similarities 18 years later.
The day after Miranda was born we left the hospital in Portland to head home to Gresham. There were about 12 stoplights and Miranda cried like crazy every time we hit a red light. She recently had 3 weeks off of school and was similarly cranky at having
to "stop" her normal everyday activities.
Miranda definitely prefers to stay busy and she loves having a plan.
Right now her plan is to graduate from M-State Fergus Falls with an A.A. in May. Her last two years at the college have earned her dual credit so she will graduate high school at the same time. She loved her M-State experience, particularly the band, choir and getting involved in the drama/theater scene. She is planning on auditioning for 3 or 4 more plays/musicals this year between school and community theater.
After she graduates and dances her last performances in the FFSD spring concert she
plans on heading to California for a week or two. My girl LOVES the ocean and can't
wait to head west for a visit with some of our California family.
Miranda has applied for about a dozen schools to continue her education, but will be seeking a deferment once she settles on a location.
She is planning on serving an 18 month mission for our church starting a year from now.
Until then she will continue to work as a reporter for the Fergus Falls Daily Journal and as a library aide at the FFPL. She isn't sure about life guarding this summer,
but might be interested in working at a new restaurant that will be opening soon.
She really does like having THREE jobs at a time.
Miranda continues to be a voracious reader, smart, strong willed, determined,
full of faith, a good example to her sisters and has strengthened so many of the areas
that she had struggled with during her growing up years.
She is now very social and loves spending time with her friends.
She was recently released as the Laurel President and now attends adult
Sunday School and Relief Society.
She enjoys serving and helping others as they progress along the path back to our Heavenly Father as well. She is kind, loving and sweet.
She continues to love to learn although she has strong opinions on formal education and the ensuing debt accrual that typically accompanies it.
Miranda has grown and changed so much and it all happened so fast.
Then I catch a glimpse of a look or hear a phrase and see my little girl
and I know that as much as she changes she will stay the same girl that sat by my side at just 7 months old and patted my head and rubbed my back and quietly occupied herself with a basket of books while I laid on the floor all day with a migraine.
She is now grown up, not a kid anymore and I don't think I could be any happier with the adult that she has become. I love this girl.
(Yes, girl. She'll always be MY MIRANDA GIRL to me.)
HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY MIRANDA!!!






5 comments:
So beautifully written. As the first baby prepares to leave the nest, it is an odd time for the Mama. You want them to leave, to stand on their own and succeed. But want them to be at home now that they are grown too!! Here is hoping you get to strike that balance!!
*sniff sniff* I have loved every mintue of watching her grow into who she is. It's been a privilege and an honor. Happy birthday MIranda!
Oh my goodness sis...I am with Salena...I totally cried reading this. It seems like yesterday. I don't know where the last 18 years went, but I am grateful for the blessing of all of you in my life. You have raised the most tremendous, wonderful girls. I am so grateful to call each of them friend. 2, 2...2 weeks in California! :) Love you all. Happy Happy Happy Birthday MyRanda. We love you and miss you! All of you. But it is MyRanda's birthday...so we miss you most today! :)
* So grateful to call them (not just family) but friends. XOXOX
Beautiful post!
Post a Comment