Saturday, April 12, 2014

Eat, Sleep, Listen

First, let's acknowledge the obvious. It's been a while. Two months. That was mostly due to this being the longest Minnesota winter in the history of ever. Or at least the history of my lifetime. It was not fun. My S.A.D ran rampant.
But that is all over now and definitely NOT the subject of this post!
I need to talk (write...type...blog) about music.
Music is such and important and essential part of my life.
My lifetime of memories are often associated with songs and evoke strong emotions for me.
Doctor Demento songs bring me back to Sunday night, 5 years old in my parent's waterbed waiting for Dead Puppies or Roly Poly Fish Heads to play on the weekly radio program. Many classic rock songs take me back to my California childhood with the house opened up and steak grilling in the back yard. Old classic country takes me straight back to the 6th grade and my dad's Chevy pick up. I am often spot on when the morning radio show has a "what year is this from" question of the day.
Music is inextricably linked to my parenting process.
I need music in my home every day. We listen to many kinds of music. I have 71 different Pandora stations. Derek came into our marriage with hundreds (maybe thousands) of compact discs.....almost all of which he has all copied digitally.
iTunes is one of our most frequent purchases. We had quiet morning music, Sunday music, classical music for studying, show tunes and punk.
Music sets the tone, lightens the mood, incites impromptu dance parties, help the dishes get done,  and brings us together.
Music is a part of our every day.
It is foreign to me when I go to stay with family or friends and day after day there is no music in their home. Some people do  not need or even want a soundtrack for their life.
I am not one of them.
Do you listen to music? What is your favorite? What is on your playlist right now?

3 comments:

Lori said...

You know how I role. Music all. the. time. Whether I want it or not, my brain is always singing. It's how I learn best too. Put it to music and I will never forget it. I love that we have our love for music in common. One more thing to make us, US!!

the mom~ said...

Yes, always! But I am new to Pandora, only 2 stations. Coffee house and French Cafe. I must get more. I usually just have Life 97.9 on the radio.

Heather said...

Salena, there is a great Pandora station called Christian Contemporary that I love! Also you can pick several of your favorite artists and make your own station. We LOVE Pandora!