October was Grand.
I did not make it to Itasca as is ALWAYS my greatest goal and desire during a Minnesota autumn.
Which really is just about 3 weeks in October.
It goes by super fast.
But I did make it to Glendalough for an afternoon walk with my sweetheart on my birthday.
And the drive to Detroit Lakes and back 2 or 3 times a week during the first part of October was perfect for watching the leaves change colors and the light grow more golden.
This year I REALLY decorated for Halloween, making several new items for our home.
Two new subway art prints framed and displayed.
A new paper garland banner.
SO MANY pressed leaves...both plain and dipped in wax.
A burlap window valance and table runner.
It is important to me for my home to feel welcoming and cozy.
I want it to be a place that my family wants to spend time and visitors feel like family.
We did a ton of baking and cooking and making in October.
Pumpkin chocolate chip squares, pumpkin pancakes (several times), dulce de leche (YUM!!!), homemade granola, no-fail French bread, cookies, cakes, bars and brownies.
It is amazing that I didn't gain weight....oh wait. I did.
This will be the first year in a VERY long time that I will wait until after Thanksgiving to put my tree up and decorate for Christmas.
At least I am going to TRY to do this.
I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and made the choice to keep the décor focused on that until the 28th.
I'm not sure how this will play out for me.
I took down all the Halloween decorations this morning and now my house looks bare and a little bit sad.
I keep telling myself that it is just simplified.
Like our homeschool.
Sticking to the basics with a lot of student led/guided exploration of life.
Lots of reading.
So much reading.
Books. Fan Fic online. Reading aloud as a family. Poetry. Graphic novels.
And creating. Drawing. Card making. Knitting. Sewing. Stitching. Baking.
Hmmm....it really sounds cozier and dreamier when I write it than it feels in the middle of it.
**************
So this month I will be posting daily gratitudes on facebook and in my journal.
I am recommitting to Daily Scripture Study and a GC talk a day from now until the end of the year.
I will need that to get through the winter.
I will finish up Call the Midwife. And then probably watch it again.
I will snuggle up with my family and watch movies.
I will visit with dear and wonderful people.
I will plan and make Christmas gifts.
I will cheer on Miranda's robotics team.
I will live and love with my family and my framily.
***************
And maybe I will not eat any Halloween candy.
What are your plans for staying sane through the holiday season?
Kewpie
3 days ago



2 comments:
Great plan!! I think shaking it up will help you find a new path...one that will be easier to navigate. I love you and admire you so very much. You are a warrior. You will take the steps necessary to survive winter. You got this. <3
This all sounds wonderful! :) I will also visit with wonderful people :) I love November. I wish I could have glimpsed the short lived Autumn in MN with you. It is on my favorites list of things we have done. Reading this post conjured so many happy memories! I love the simplicity you are working toward. Oh how I need to simplify. It is so hard to do! XOXO
Post a Comment