Monday, April 15, 2013

The Ultimate Comfort Food

So honestly I've had the photos for this post edited and uploaded for days.
I'm just having trouble finding the words.
I suppose I could just write out the recipe and be done with it, but there is so much more.
About my grandma.
About comfort food.
And emotional eating.

 
But really I think I just want to remember my Grandma today.
I want to remember the joy and comfort of being in her home.
Arriving to a huge pan of lasagne or a big pot of spaghetti.
Always with homemade sauce.
Always delicious and warm and welcoming.
Comfort.
 
 
This lasagne is SOOOO yummy.
It is my favoriteist lasagne ever, but I am sure that is because I think of my
Grandma each time I make it. 
Memories of her flood my mind often but when I use one of her recipes to feed my family,
I feel a special connection.
I remember being in her kitchen in Bend and copying down recipes until my hand hurt.
I am so very thankful that I took the time to do that.
I would ask questions about recipes......when she made certain dishes,
whose favorite it was.
 
 
I am pretty sure that EVERYBODY liked her lasagne.
 
*******************************************

Grandma Raynor's Lasagne~
Meat Sauce-
1lb Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T whole basil
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 lb can (2 cups) crushed tomatoes
2 6oz cans (1 cup) tomato paste
1 container of mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Brown meat slowly; spoon off fat. Add remaining ingredients.
Simmer uncovered 1/2-1 hour stirring occasionally.
Breathe deep and think of Grandma.
 
Noodles-
Cook 8-10oz lasagne noodles until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
 
Cheese Filling-
3 cups fresh ricotta or half ricotta/half cottage cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2T parsley flakes
2 beaten eggs
2t salt
1/2t pepper
1lb mozzarella sliced very thin
 
 
Mix cheese filling ingredients together.
Cover bottom of 9x13 pan with 1 1/2 cups sauce, layer 1/2 noodles over sauce, 1/2 of remaining sauce, 1/2 cheese filling, 1/2 mozzarella slices. Repeat: noodles, sauce, cheeses.
Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
(This is a great dish to make the day before or the morning of. It also freezes well. I just don't add the top layer of cheeses until I am going to bake it.)
Bake at 375* for 30 minutes and remove foil.
Continue baking until bubbly and golden.
This is great with the traditional green or Caesar salad and garlic bread.
YUM!
You should make this soon and let me know how it turns out.
***************************************
Oh, one more thing. I LOVE cooking with my girls....we are in the kitchen together often. I have found, however that when I make my grandma's lasagne I prefer to cook alone.
Well not exactly alone....just me and Grandma.
 

1 comment:

Lori said...

What a yummy looking recipe!! What I really like are the memories attached. I can relate to that. The comfort of the memories is as powerful as the comfort of the food. Great post, sister.