After much deliberation and careful examination of the subject at hand Derek and I have reached a decision. We will........wait for it........buy new bath towels.
Big deal, you say?
Who cares, you say?
Buy the dang towels and quit yappin' about it, you say???
*********************************************
Before reading the book Happier at Home I have been VERY frugal with purchases for our home. I had not replaced our curtains for our slider in YEARS even though they were stained, flimsy and I DID NOT LOVE THEM.
Fifty to seventy-five dollars seemed like too much money for that sort of purchase. We couldn't eat it, use it to travel (gasoline) or make memories (tubing down the Ottertail river), and it didn't seem especially "useful". But then I examined the things in our home that were causing me frustration or discontent that REALLY wouldn't cause much impact on our bank account.
Like the rusty manual can opener that we'd been using FOR YEARS.
I can't even remember how long we've had it or where it came from. It was certainly vintage looking with avocado green rubber gripping on the handles.
And did I mention that it was RUSTY?
But I have lived for so long abiding by the adage
USE IT UP
WEAR IT OUT
MAKE IT DO
DO WITHOUT
that I was fully entrenched in a MAKE IT DO mindset.
So I did.
********************************************
I made do. In lots of areas.
Like old, stinky bath towels.
They aren't that bad, I had convinced myself.
Compared to the can opener they are practically NEW.
We replaced our previous mish mash of unmatched towels (most of them acquired as wedding gifts in 1991) about seven or eight years ago. So our current towels are all the same color and size.
Or they were.
Seven or eight years ago.
Some are shorter now with much frayed ends and discolored from accidental bleaching or muddy hand wiping.
And they smell bad.
Even after they are washed.
Derek says it's been this way for at least a year.
But I was MAKING DO!!!!
And WEARING OUT!!!
And with 4 daughters there are ALWAYS more important and pressing matters for our small amount of discretionary spending.
Like new pointe shoes, ballet slippers, tap shoes, leotards, tights......(with 20+ dance classes between 4 daughters, you get the point. Hahahahaha......pun intended).
Not to mention books, band instrument necessities and street shoes for ever growing feet.
So you can see how towels could be continually relegated to the bottom of the NEEDS list.
(Yes, btw.....there is such a thing! I thought EVERYONE had a running wants/needs/wishes list until just recently. It helps greatly to cut down on impulse buying!!!)
Until today.
Today I will go buy new towels.
Six of them.
One per person.
They are on sale at Target.
I will sew a different colored ribbon in the center edge of each towel so it can be easily hung and identified by it's owner.
And I will cross towels off the list.
For now.
Kewpie
3 days ago


2 comments:
Genius...You mean you can buy just 6 without replacing every.single.towel.you.own? You mean you can afford to have a nice new towel and not break the bank? Genius, I say. You are my role model. I <3 you. No, for real. I'm serious. <3
Awesome! Good buy!
Post a Comment