Friday, December 14, 2012

December Daily-Friday 12/14....Random Acts

Today is a sad day.
I had to go to Walmart just after I found out what had happened.
The store was packed.
I looked around at all of those people that I don't know and wondered what
is going on with each of them.
Everyone is bearing a burden. Everyone is dealing with something.
We never know what is going on in someone else's head.
I tried to remember to smile at everyone.
To be kind and considerate amidst the throng of shoppers.
I only needed a few things and I was waiting for my dad to finish his shopping
so I was not in a big hurry.
There was a grandma lady that had stopped an employee and asked
for the location of poppy seeds.
The employee answered and then grandma proceeded to share what she needs
the poppy seeds for.........a treasured and time worn recipe that she makes
EVERY year at Christmas time.
Grandma looked like she'd probably finished her other shopping already so I
dashed back to the spice aisle and grabbed a jar of poppy seeds while
taking note of the price.
I got back to grandma and the employee just as grandma finished her story
and was about to walk away.
The look on her face as I handed her the poppy seeds was pure astonishment.
It was AWESOME!
Her jaw literally FELL open....gaping at me...then she uttered one phrase.
But......how did you know? 
I chuckled and told her that I was passing by when she first asked the question.
She was beaming and wished me a Merry Christmas.
 
There isn't any random act of kindness that can make up for today's
mind-numbing and senseless random act of violence......
but for at least a minute there was a bit of
cheer in my local Walmart today.
As you go about the rest of this holiday season think about how you
can cheer and lift others.
Just like the story of the starfish....
it might make a difference to THAT ONE.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Well done, sister. Your ability to discern the needs of others boggles my mind. My goal is to be more like you. I love you.

Nae said...

Perfectly executed RAK my sister!

Christine said...

Always such an inspiration...you are to me! I cried as I read this one sis! Thank you for your intuitive nature. It is one of your many countless talents. You have so many gifts, physical and spiritual. You never cease to impress me with your open heart and willingness to serve. Thank you for the reminder to smile...I needed it this week. Merry Christmas to you!

the mom~ said...

Yesterday was a sad day. :(

dawn said...

What a wonderful and kind gesture you did for this lady. I can just picture her face when you gave it to her. HOW AWESOME!! It is the little things that can make a persons day, I know it does for me.

I saw your comment on Ali's blog and clicked over not knowing it was yours. Was excited to see it was YOU. Kinda lost track of your blog these last couple weeks, took time off to be with family. I LOVE LOVE your OLW and that your doing the Happiness Project. This has been on my mind too thru the year. Thinking I will be doing this for 2013 also, YEA FOR US!! Good luck with your word, I can see it will be a success already and suits you well.
This tragedy hit me hard too, I see the world differently and more fragile. The word PEACE came to me and so that is my second OLW and my first is STORY. My heart is still broken about these poor families. Did you hear about how you can help by sending snowflakes to the school. Check out my blog to find out. Thanks so much for this well written post, it's how I feel too. HUGS!!