Sunday, November 7, 2010

I try to be a good mom. Really I do. I once saw a t-shirt that said something like every mom should have to be a grandma first. If only it worked that way. Instead I just feel like I'm screwing up this mothering thing almost every day. Today for example....Kamiryn and I baked some very yummy pumpkin chocolate chip bread from a recipe I found earlier this week. We measured, stirred, mixed and poured. It was a good time. I poured the batter into the pans with help from Kamiryn. I turned away for just a moment to put the bowl into the sink. And then she sneezed my child proceeded to SPIT ALL OVER the very bread batter that we had labored to concoct. A better mother would have not freaked out and made her daughter cry laughed or....or.....something? I guess I don't even know how I should have handled that moment. I did call her back into the kitchen a few moments later, but I was still disappointed that all of lessons about covering your mouth when you sneeze and washing your hands when you cook had disappeared during a time that I REALLY WISH SHE HAD REMEMBERED. I held her on my lap, wiped her tears and sent her off to play. After a talk with my mom in which she offered a little perspective and humor I was able to tell Kamiryn that it was okay and that the heat from baking surely killed off all the germs. (To which she replied...that is just what I thought) Still....only family will get to sample this batch. I'm thinking that these will be loaves that only a mother could love. {Grandmas, grandpas and Aunties too}


5 comments:

Lori said...

I would have done the same thing....and have many times. Just don't give up. I stopped cooking with my kids when it became too big a hassle. Now I wish I had been more patient...and maybe yelled a bit...and kept baking with them. You are a great Mom. You kids will be fine.

the mom~ said...

it's a damn good thing I didn't know this BEFORE I ate it :)
COVER your cough...err....sneeze KZ! :)

the mom~ said...

and you didn't title this....?
AHHHH-CHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nae said...

Not everything that we do as parents turns out like a Norman Rockwell painting. Just keep that in perspective. I would have definitely ate that pumpkin bread with KZ germs and all! I'm just not picky & I am sure we have all ate worse from restaurants and just not known. YOU ARE A GREAT MOM!

Christine said...

I was stellar the other day when Leslie spilled a can of tomatoe sauce on the floor. If her auntie hadn't called at that very moment...it might have gotten worse even...thank you!