n
(Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) a deposit of needle-like ice crystals formed on the ground by direct condensation at temperatures below freezing point Also called white frost.






Last Friday we awoke to this wonder of nature called hoarfrost. This is most definitely something that I did not grow up with in Southern California. Even here it is a rare treat, something we see only a handful of times each winter. Every time this wonder occurs I cannot help but gaze out the window all morning until at last the sun comes out and it begins to quickly melt and drip until the bleak and bare branches of winter return. For a few hours though nature is arrayed in the finest splendor imaginable. I love it.


8 comments:
We love looking at it too! In fact, thanks for the definition, Roger and I couldn't remember what it was called! We came up with some guesses, but no where near the right word!!
Great pics !
I love hoarfrost!! Thanks for the pics. Beautiful!!
We took pics too, it was beautiful!
that is so pretty! great pictures.
so pretty, but i am so tired of being cold!
Beautiful photos Heather! Did you take all those? You've got skillz!
Awesome pictures!
Truly beautiful! Way to capture of wonderment of hoarfrost!!
Post a Comment