So what brought on this sudden urge to tell you about my pan?
I washed it today. Kamiryn ate the last bit of apple crisp and the dishwasher was already full. So I filled the pan with hot sudsy water and gave it a scrub. When it was clean I stood staring at my pan. I was looking at the permanent grid on the bottom of the pan and I remembered once when a friend with a similar pan was very careful each time she cut a dessert so as to not leave lines in the bottom of her pan. So I stood thinking of all of the desserts that the lines in my pan represent.
I once baked a cake in that pan for the missionaries. After dinner we each had a piece of cake and then left the dining room to visit for a bit. While the Elders were sharing a nice message with us I noticed that my then toddler Madi girl was no longer in the family room with us. After a very short search we discovered Madison sitting in the middle of the dining room table next to the pan. Cake was everywhere as she was shoving cake into her mouth with both fists.
My pan has hosted more birthday cakes than I can count. I learned how to make "bars" in that pan. This is another Midwest thing....I had never heard of bars in California. My favorite turned out to be O Henry bars from the Henning First Baptist cookbook. This pan has seen cakes, bars, crisps, crumbles and just about every dessert you can put in a pan. Pumpkin dump cake, lemon bars, Lori's grandma's apple crisp, lemon strawberry rhubarb cake, and so much more. After reminiscing for a few moments I turned the pan over to wipe off the bottom. Then I observed that one set of lines stood out above all the others from this reverse angle. I knew at once which treat I had made more than all the others. A favorite that I cut the exact same way each time. Chocolaty goodness that is distributed in the pan so that the edge pieces are smaller and the center pieces are the biggest. Brownies. The cure for sadness of every variety. I can even tell you which piece I eat first every time. As I am trying to




11 comments:
I loved this post! That's so cool about the pan and I definitely learned more about you! We're in the same chocolate-lower our calories boat so I haven't made brownies in quite some time. I miss them!
I have a pan just like that. My aunt has given one to each of us at our bridal showers.
Beautifully said. You just can't beat a good pan.
what a good friend that pan is! i just made brownies yesterday, haven't done that in months! i'll eat them for you...i've already gotten through nearly half all on my own....yikes! but they are so good! thanks for the nice thing you wrote on my half post...so nice to hear i inspire a person, not sure that has happened before! thank you!
Loved this post!
Cute post !
What do they call bars in Cali?
I'm rather fond of my pans as well. :)
and I love my personalized pan you gave me as well :)
I don't ever remember having bars in California and I lived there until I was in my 20's. We had cookies, cakes, pies...no bars. Well, not that kind anyway!
Oh, I do rembember a few desserts that we called squares, like lemon squares. But you would never be asked or assigned to bring "bars" to a potluck or party. It would just be cookies or dessert. I love regionalisms. :)
Such a great pan and I know I have enjoyed some delicious brownies myself from that very pan. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment