Monday, January 25, 2010

Conflicted-Part 1

Right now I am reading a few books. The two that I am trying to get the most reading time with are The Flat Belly Diet and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
You wouldn't know it by reading the titles but these two books hold opposing principles. One book is telling me what to eat to have a slimmer midsection. This includes many fresh fruits and vegetables that are not currently in season in my part of the world. The other book strongly advocates eating ONLY what can be grown local and purchased in season.
My problem is that I feel strongly about both issues. I'd like to have a flat(tish) tummy AND not be irresponsible with the worlds non-renewable energy sources. During my last shopping trip I purchased produce grown in Arizona, California and who knows where else. I had never before given much thought to hows and whys of eating food out of season. Now I see the situation in a whole new light, but have no idea at this point what I should do about it.
At least one of you reading this right now is zoning out and thinking WHO CARES? (Yep, you know who you are!)
The answer is I care. The next question is how much do I care and what am I going to do about it? For now I am going to eat my tomatoes from Nogales, lemons that might come from as far away as India and keep drinking an insane amount of water while I sort out my thoughts on this matter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, I've wondered about that issue too. I've looked into the whole "locally" thing...in fact there's a restaurant in SLC that only uses locally in season foods so their menu changes constantly. But if you're locale doesn't offer a lot of choice, then how do you give you body all that it needs? I dunno. Most health/nutrition books I find seem to conflict each other on a lot of points. So I just decided to be happy with my local supermarket's produce section :P

maggie said...

do a little of both maybe? i don't know, it's hard. or like the above person said, just be ok with what your local store offers! enjoy whatever you eat!

Lori said...

Good luck. I'm all for global warming, baby!! Bring on the warmth!!

Nae said...

I'm thinking you should have waited until this summer to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. We do live in the tundra. Only fresh we have now is SNOW!! ;-)

Heather said...

Renae, she specifically advocates WAITING for the fresh stuff and pretty much abstaining from it all winter long. Urghhhh...talk about nearly impossible!

the mom~ said...

Hahahahaaaaaa....thanks for not using my name ;)
It sparked my interest for about the first 3 lines and then I thought yah we live where it's frozen MANY months a year...I can only eat what my producer provides me this time of year.
Interesting post.

T, B, Z, J, M & I said...

I plan for us to do the Plough Share thing this next year. My only concern is I've heard it's a lot of food and is best shared with another family. I'm trying to decide if we should share it (and who would want to) or if we should try our darn hardest to use it all and be that much extra healthy. My concern is that we will waste too much after having decided not to share it, especially with me gone so much over the summer with youth trips and Travis is not a cooker. Regardless if we share it or not, I'll have to be creative (which I'm not usually with cooking) and deliberate with finding recipes to use the produce.