Sunday, November 22, 2009

An Important Discovery


This year for science we are finishing up our study of the Solar System. We are using a curriculum called the Young Explorer Series. On Friday Dani and Madi finished up the unit on the planets Uranus and Neptune. The end of each chapter has an assignment and a project and sometimes an activity. The project is the experiment relating to that chapter. We have had about a 50% success rate with the experiments. This has been a little disappointing for the girls, but also a good learning experience to do things just as advised and to make an accurate recording of how things turned out. This chapter had a successful project (the girls made clouds and learned about water vapor) and a fun activity. The girls were to act out the discovery of the planet Uranus. Danelle wrote the script, they found costumes and props and they rehearsed in their bedroom before presenting the play to me early that afternoon. All of the girls did a great job and there was quite a bit of wit and comedy interspersed throughout their play. I wish I had gotten it on video. I think my favorite line was when the girls hugged Uranus (Miranda) at the end and she proclaimed...."You're disturbing my atmosphere!". I love the creativity that can pop up in every subject, including science.

4 comments:

the mom~ said...

Hahahaaaa...LOVE IT!

Lori said...

That is hilarious!! I love their creativity. I can totally relate to Miranda. hahahhaha

Nae said...

Love their imagination and tell Miranda that I don't like when people mess with my atmosphere too much either!

Christine said...

So cool! I wish we lived closer to each other and could do some things like this together ;)