Monday, May 11, 2009

with love....







Today is my mom's birthday. She is 54. Most women would be irritated by having their age shared so openly. Not my mom. She actually likes getting older and when she is occasionally untruthful about her age it is to make herself older and not younger. Strange I know, but she'll be the first to tell you that we are not a normal family and that is just how we roll.

My mom and dad have been in Fergus for a few years now and it has (mostly) been great fun to have them so close. We get to spend a lot of time together and I love and cherish the memories that we make together like birthdays, holidays, dance performances, planting flowers, lake days, lazy summer days by the pool, unlimited ice cream in the freezer for the kids, and cleaning together.

My mom loves her family fiercely and doesn't have many friends that don't end up as family. I wrote my mom a letter for Mother's Day that I gave to her yesterday. I am going to share it with you as it gives a good glimpse into the kind of woman she is and why, despite her occasional craziness, we love her so very much!!!!

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!! I love you!


Mom,
I’ve often heard people say that women should start out Grandma’s and finish as mothers. It’s kind of a funny thing to say, but so true at the same time. Patience and wisdom comes with time and experience. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and patience with my daughters. I sometimes give you a hard time for misspelling names and for smoking, but I want you to know that I notice the good things too! Like the way you make my girls feel with your little gifts and the time you spend with them. Your well stocked freezer, always open door, and a yard that children beg to play in. You have never let me leave town for a trip without a new outfit or a few dollars spending money. You enjoy my cooking, adore my children and cheer me on in life. No relationship is perfect but I am so very grateful that we have never given up on each other. You are an example to me of generosity….you’d give the shirt of your back to a shirtless stranger and the shoes off your feet to a barefoot prostitute. You don’t hesitate to jump in when needed. Like when Grandma Raynor died. Or in the middle of the night gathering food and blankets for a family that you’ve never met just because I asked you to. You took in other peoples children, but you also knew when it was time to temporarily let yours go. Thank you so much for that. And thank you for hanging out with me in this life. You are awesome and today on this Mother’s Day I wanted you to know that I love you.
Thanks for being my mom. Love Heather

4 comments:

the mom~ said...

Happy happy birthday MOM!!! Love you!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday, Keisha! You are so loved.

Nae said...

So sweet & heartfelt, Heather! Happy birthday, Keisha! I know my two girls want to be adopted by you as well. :-)

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday Keisha!!!