Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Good Day

This is our 9th year of homeschooling.
I am still trying to get it "right".
Whatever that means.
Just like life, homeschooling is an ever changing and evolving process.
At least in this house.
Often, I am way too hard on myself. And probably my girls too. But I can feel a shift.
Things are changing.
I am becoming so much more accepting of myself.
Of us.
We are not going to parent, live or homeschool our girls EXACTLY like anyone else. And.......that is okay! Actually it is wonderful!
I know that it has taken me way too long to realize all of this.
Today I stayed in bed until 10:30. I spent the last hour and a half snuggling first Madison, then Kamiryn and finally both of them and the dog too. We told stories, laughed  and visited.
This is a really big deal because today was a "school day".
You know....there was math to do!
But this year my One Little Word is FOCUS.
I have thought long and hard.....prayed and pondered about what exactly Heavenly Father wants me to focus on. What the focus of my life should be. Each aspect of my life.
Marriage. Motherhood. Homeschool.
You know what I (re)discovered?
My focus should be on relationships.
My relationship with my Father in Heaven.
With my savior Jesus Christ.
With my dear, sweet, amazing husband.
With these smart, beautiful, tender souls that have been entrusted to our care.
With myself.
With friends and family that love and support me.
Co-workers.
Church family.
The list goes on.
It's not REALLY about math.
After we got up and had breakfast I spent some time calendaring (it's a verb in our house) with the older girls and then the younger girls and I had "parent/teacher/student" conferences.
It was fun. And productive.
I met with each girl for over an hour.
We talked about our objectives for their education.
We discussed what our ultimate goal is with all of this homeschooling and living and life.
I helped them put some of their feelings into words and we wrote answers down in my journal and in theirs.
We made plans.
We set goals.
We communicated.
They felt important. Heard. Cherished. Loved.
We never did get the math done.
**************************
It was a good day.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Awesome. A good day, indeed.

Nae said...

You are a rockstar, my Joysister and I love your priorities and FOCUS!

the mom~ said...

The math will still be there when you get to it, but those snuggles and conversations may not be. :)