Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Storytelling

Growing up I was afraid of spiders, bugs and all manner of creepy crawlies.
Frightfully afraid.
Screaming, crying, freaking out scared.
I did not like critters with lots of legs that move fast.
It runs in my family.
I have a great Grandma Soldan spider story that is family lore. (It was a fake spider)
And once when Salena was a little girl she FREAKED over a mouse in the kitchen that she referred to as a "jumping, barking spider".
My mom is not very fond of them either.
*************************
All at once, on a beautiful spring day in May of 1997 my fear was abruptly cured.
I had my sweet 4 month old baby girl outside to enjoy the spring air and sunshine.
I was doing a little bit of gardening, transplanting grape hyacinths if I remember right.
I think maybe I pruned a few roses from the climbing rose bush as well.
It was a glorious day and we were happy to be outside.
Miranda was in her car seat nearby and I was chatting away to her as I worked.
I happened to glance over at my girl to see a GIGANTICALLY HUGE MANY LEGGED UGLY AS CAN BE BUG on my babies head!!!
I did not stop to think.
I was not rational.
I would have been able to plead insanity in a court of law.
The bug had to die.
But.
I did not think this through.
I swatted.
The bug.
And my baby.
The bug died.
Miranda cried.
I scooped her up and made a solemn vow to myself.
I changed that day.
I am now a bug scooping, spider holding, bee shooing, non shrieking, saver of all who fear insect and arachnid alike.
Just tonight I helped a little ole cricket bug make it back to his natural habitat in the front bushes.
I think I heard him chirp his thanks.
And Miranda?
Well I am sure she is scared for life.
We have a therapy fund set up for her.
And she will tell this story to her children, and her children's children.
"Once, when I was just a baby.......my mom HIT me on the head!"
And spent the rest of her life making up for it.

2 comments:

Lori said...

This make me LOL!! LOved it!! You should ask Jo about the time I knifed her :) Our children will be tougher for it....right?? <3

the mom~ said...

LOL! And sister...make your font bigger or different, please!