Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Rare Treat

I usually work Friday afternoons/evenings....anywhere from a 4-8 hour shift and Saturday mornings 8-4. The only time I don't work these shifts is if I request them off for other activities.
This weekend was one of these times.
We had 4 activities scheduled for Friday and another half a dozen more for Saturday.
And then it stormed.
Rain. Freezing rain. Plummeting temperatures. Slick, icy roads. A dusting of snow.
And suddenly a clear calendar.
The only things that remained were a birthday party sleepover for Miranda and a cousin sleepover at Grandmom's for the little girls.
It was truly a rare weekend. Relaxing and leisurely.
Full of time to slow down and spend time together.
I cleaned.
Cleared clutter.
Put things away WHERE. THEY. BELONG.
I cooked for the party girls and then stayed out of their way.
I watched movies with my sweetheart.
I tried a FABULOUS new treat recipe.
Seriously the best ever.
We went on a double date to see Lincoln. Loved it!
Lingered at Cafe 116 for a caramel steamer with fennel.  YUM!
Had a Downton Abbey date at my bestie's with my big girls.
Giggled, tickled, cuddled and played with my little girls.
Soaked it all in.

****************
And today has been a jammy day for me. I had a bad tummy ache as just as we were about to leave for church, so I sent my family off and headed back to bed.
I snuggled in and watch my new Christmas movie, The Christmas Shoes.
I cried.
When my family returned home the little girls and I snuggled up and watch an episode of Little House on the Prairie.
And now we just wrapped up the weekend with Miranda's family party.
I am fairly certain that this has been her best birthday ever.

******************
And a pretty amazing weekend.
Now I dream of the day when I get to have another one just like it.

******************
happy sigh

4 comments:

dawn said...

This is so awesome, so glad you had a great weekend. I love when this happens too. The flu is at our house too, one by one it's getting us, totally sucks. I'm still recovering, making myself sit and rest and eating saltines.

Hope you get another slow/family time weekend soon. Feel better soon!

Lori said...

Wow...who knew an ice storm would be something to be thankful for...but there it is. I am so glad you got to enjoy the weekend and the time with your family. I love how everything came together!!

Nae said...

Recognizing and appreciating the special moments is pure genius. I also loved Lincoln, the caramel/fennel latte and the Downton Abbey night all snuggled together on the couch. Priceless!!

Christine said...

Last year I was so unplugged...but this morning I have enjoyed going back to read several of your recent posts. I LOVE YOU! Thank you for being you and reminding me how very beautiful the world, life and ordinary things are! XOXO