Wednesday, December 5, 2012

December Daily.....OH HENRY BAR, OH HENRY BAR.....how I love thy deliciousness!!!

 
I love old cookbooks.
One of my favorites is the
Favorite Recipes From
First Baptist Church
Henning, Minnesota
1887-1987
This cookbook was a birthday present to Derek from his grandparents in 1991.
His 20th birthday.
I am sure he was thrilled!
This cookbook has seen a lot of use over the last 21 years.
I think it's how I learned to "cook Minnesotan".
A useful skill in these parts.
I've blogged about it before, but growing up in California we had cookies, cakes, brownies and pies, but I don't remember a single "bar".
So being asked to bring bars to an event took some getting used to.
Here is one of my faithful go-to recipes.
 
O'Henry Bars
by Jan Sundberg, Lola Pennie and Karen (Wheeler) Thayer
 
1 C. butter at room temperature
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
4 C. oatmeal
1 1/2 C. chocolate chips
1 C. peanut butter
Blend butter and sugars {until well mixed}/ Add oatmeal {and mix until well blended}. Press into 9x13" pan. Bake 350* for 12 minutes.
Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter over low heat {stirring constantly until mixed well}. Spread over oatmeal mixture. Cool {in fridge} and cut into bars.

Makes 24-48 bars.
*My notes.....These are rich and can easily be cut into small bars. It is essential to use butter that is room temperature so that your "crust" will stick together.
I have used a hand mixer and a kitchenaid....it probably goes without saying that I prefer the kitchenaid.
Instsructions in {  } are my own notes.
We enjoyed a pan of these yummy bars earlier this week. Oh and one more thing. A disclaimer of sorts.
*If you want to continue to fit into your current size of jeans, then this is best made and served for a potluck, party or other event.
If you have a pan at home it *MAY* be hard to resist.
Just sayin'.