In our home it is no secret that I dislike Family Home Evening. I can think of more times that FHE has ended in fights, frustration and tears than in happiness and cheer. Still. We are commanded to have FHE. So over and over we rededicate ourselves to this endeavor. Currently we are having FHE on Sunday evenings and each taking a turn being in charge. Because it just works better for US one person plans the lesson, picks the songs, asks someone to pray and plans the activity and treat. For a couple of months now we have been successful in carrying out weekly FHE's with just a few exceptions. I am sure that one of the secrets to our success is mastering the "mini" FHE......otherwise known as "speed" FHE. Tonight's FHE was 13 minutes from opening song to the making of and handing out of the treat!!!
Now I KNOW that the objective is NOT to RACE through Family Home Evening. And our family time together doesn't necessarily end with the closing prayer. As I type this 3 of my 4 girls are happily playing together outside while they finish their dessert. But when the alternative is NOT to have FHE at all (because it makes mom crabby & bcrazy) this Speed FHE has been working for us. Not everyone in our family plans these quick lessons/activities, but Madison and I seem to be on the same page, averaging less than 20 minutes per FHE that we plan. So here is tonight's FHE so you can see how it's done Hubert style:
Opening song- Love at Home
Opening prayer-Danelle
Lesson- Mom......about 5 minutes. I started by reminding my family of the topic of our favorite talk in today's sacrament meeting. (Sister Thomas spoke about chickens and service. The chickens made the topic memorable so my girls remembered some specific elements of the talk.) I then shared the prospector story from Elder M. Russell Ballard's conference talk last April.....adding a portion of the scripture from Alma..."by small and simple things are great things brought to pass...."
We then discussed how it's the little things that we do in our home and community to serve others that really add up. It is fine to volunteer hours of our time at the animal shelter or the food bank but offering someone your seat in a crowded room or a smile or a hug goes a long way and really adds up! I briefly added my testimony that I know this to be true.
Closing song- Choose the Right Way
Closing prayer- Madison
Treat- Broiler smore's- Turn oven on to broil, place enough graham cracker halves for each member of your family on a cookie sheet, top with marshmallow and broil while watching closely. Remove from oven when golden and gooey and top with chocolate square and graham cracker square. Go outside to enjoy.
And that is how you have a 15 minute or less Family Home Evening. If you have more ideas, please share!
It is important to us to be faithful and obedient in this endeavor, but it is equally important to ME that there is NO whining or complaining. I have found that by being brief we can impart some spiritual message without too much fuss!
Kewpie
3 days ago


1 comment:
Bravo sister!! It is about finding something that works and DOING IT!! You are doing it and I applaud you and your family!!
Post a Comment