Tuesday, January 26, 2010

They'll Never Make Your Butt Look Big....


I LOVE socks. In junior high I loved scrunchy socks. Do you remember those hideous and unfortunate fashion mistakes? I loved to layer mine and wear them with my high top black Reebok's.
I was cool.
After high school I don't remember giving much thought to socks. For a while I wore men's tube socks in white. Ick. (If any of you are still doing this, please consider giving it up.)


I remember sometime in my early 20's attending a Tupperware party at my friend Nancy's house. She had a guest there that night that made an impression on me. I vaguely remember that the women was well groomed with her hair and make up done and was fashionably dressed. What I remember most about her however is her socks. She was wearing well fitting, women's patterned socks. They were argyle. I'm pretty sure it was the first time that I had ever seen such a thing.
I had a new obsession interest.
Socks. Now this was in the early to mid 90's and fun socks were not easy to come by in those days. So my collection has grown slowly but steadily over the years. I now have socks to coordinate with most of my clothing. I love spots and dots, argyle and solids, but my very favorite are stripes. Most of my socks are red, black, gray or a combination of the three. Recently I indulged in a bit of retail therapy (abstaining from brownies remember?). My retail therapy budget is quite minimal these days so a 3 pack of clearance socks at Target fit the bill quite nicely. I didn't have any green patterned socks until now. In my favorite shade too. It's just too bad they didn't have stripes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love socks too! I love your green argyle socks there, cute! I love patterned socks. My fav pair are navy blue with light blue dots. Love 'em!

the mom~ said...

Socks...woohoo! :)
I like my socks too and in MN where you have to remove your shoes at the doors of most homes cute socks are a must!

Nae said...

Very cute! Almost all my socks are Christmas socks (except for my running socks) since I only wear them in winter and I have been gifted with so many over the years. I much prefer to be barefoot.

Lori said...

Thus the reason I buy shoes and handbags...you know...the whole big butt thing!! I like the idea of matching socks but feel so restricted in them. I need me some bare feet!!

Melissa said...

I love socks, too! I just don't have enough stylin' ones...
And, like makeup and earrings--so true they will never give you more "junk in the trunk"...

maggie said...

I like a nice striped sock too! It does make you happy! Ha ha!