Thursday, December 17, 2009

December Daily: December 17- A Christmas Memory

Growing up we didn't have a lot of money. We weren't exactly destitute, but our parents chose to spend the money they earned on other things. Sometimes Christmases were disappointing not exactly what we were hoping for.
One of my very favorite Christmases of my childhood is one such Christmas.
I cannot even recall now what it is that I really wanted or thought for sure that I just had to have. I can recall what I got, however. I was ten. I read a lot.
A lot.
I really wanted to be an author. Like E.B. White or Madeline L'Engle.
Oh, yeah....I wanted a roll top desk.
Well that obviously wasn't in the Christmas budget that year, so my parents got creative. My mom (or maybe my dad, I'm not sure) found a roll top bread box. Do you remember those things? Then they filled it with all kinds of office supplies. Tape, paperclips, a stapler and a memo pad. This accompanied a used, refurbished electric typewriter.
I was thrilled.
It wasn't what I had wanted and wished for, but for that moment it was better. Disappointment turned to delight. That bread box took up a corner of the desk that I already had and was just as good as a roll top desk to me. I loved arranging the supplies inside and that simple gift told me that I mattered....that my wish was heard and that I was loved.
Of course what happens next isn't really appropriate for inclusion in a warm and fuzzy Christmas story. Let's just say I don't have the bread box or typewriter anymore and I can't even recall if it got much use.
For that Christmas season it felt like the desires of a young girls heart were fulfilled.

What is your favorite Christmas memory from your childhood?

5 comments:

the mom~ said...

hey Debbie Downer...sheesh!

My favorite Christmas memory was the year I made a list and my most wonderful Grandparents fulfilled everything on my list! Man I loved them...I was 9 maybe? I also loved the year in Tuba Cuty with our other Grandma when we opened all our gifts on Christmas Eve thinking that was it and woke up Christmas morning with MORE gifts, she said Santa came! Thank God for our Grandparents :)
And of course the year we found out we were prego with Ethan was probably the BEST :)

Anonymous said...

This isn't from my childhood but I love our first Christmas being married. It was so simply, money being scarce, but I loved it.

Lori said...

My favorite Christmas was the last one I spent in ID with my Mom and ALL my family gathered around. I didn't know that is was the last Christmas I'd spend with her....but I have NO regrets. I loved every minute of that Christmas.

Nae said...

Oh, I am already an emotional wreck this morning and then to read your beautiful, heart-felt Christmas memory... more tissue please!! My favorite Christmas memory is when Steve proposed on Christmas Eve 1990. He had creatively wrapped up the ring in multiple, graduated boxes which got progressively smaller. When I got down to the very last small box and he knelt down on one knee amongst all the crumpled paper and asked me to marry him, I was just shaking. "Yes!" And I have been so blessed to have him share every Christmas with me since.

the mom~ said...

Ok, I only called you Debbie Downer because I am your sister and I know the rest of that story and all the stories to follow...
:(