I have been asked before why we as members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints still use the King James version of the bible instead of the NIV or other updated and modern versions. To some the King James version seems old fashioned and difficult to understand. For us we feel that the language in the newer versions is common, relaxed and unbefitting to a King. The formal language shows our respect to our Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ. The more formal speech patterns put me in a reverent and appropriate frame of mind for a true study of the scriptures and I am able to focus and ponder on God's word. It is also helpful in Sunday School and other classes at church when every one in the room is reading from and following along with the same verse on the same page number and with the same exact words. As a convert to the Church this was on of the things that I appreciated when I began attending church. I have also seen the exact meaning of a scripture get lost or muddled in the translation from the more formal wording of the King James to the relaxed and informal wording of some of the newer versions. It might take some getting used to for new converts to the Church, but it now it makes perfect sense to me.
Now you know.
Kewpie
4 days ago


3 comments:
I'm going to copy and paste this blog and carry it with me in case I come across this same question. You did a great job explaining it!
Huh, interesting! TFS~
I love the feel of poetry in the King James version. I love that the scriptures have a specific feel to them that is different than normal speaking. I also love the footnotes in the LDS version. The corrections of the newer translations are also in the footnotes. It's the best of both worlds.
Post a Comment