Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Weekend




*This week I have started training for the Fargo 5k that I am planning on participating in on Saturday May 9. I am following a 5 week training program and I can already see my endurance building. Yesterday I ran a mile without stopping for the first time since high school. I really had to push myself, but I did it!!!
*This weekend is General Conference. We listen to 4 sessions that are 2 hours each, (5 for the men) full of inspiration, guidance and wisdom.
*General Conference is every 6 months....the first weekends in April and October.
*The girls LOVE our GC traditions SO MUCH that Kamiryn woke me up at 8:00am yesterday bouncing with delight. She was bubbling with excitement and repeating over and over, "get up Mom, it's General Conference". You would have thought it was Christmas.
*Our traditions include yummy cinnamon rolls each morning before conference. We've had Pillsbury's and homemade before and this year we tried Rhodes bake and serve. We all agreed that they were the BEST ever.
*Each year the girls do a little bit better with staying upstairs and listening and paying attention. (We watch the broadcast on BYU-TV via the internet.) All the girls made it through the entire first session and almost all of the second session yesterday. Of course GC bingo with skittles helps quite a bit. We also gather and plan for quiet activities and each girl has there own spot to sit and listen and play/work quietly.
*In between sessions we got our new (to us) piano moved in and our old piano taken away. We loved our old piano. We had it for almost 10 years and it had been given to us by my dear friend Laura Newman back in Coon Rapids. You would have thought a cherished pet had passed away.....we had a hard time parting with it. Miranda cried and we even had a photo session with the piano before it was taken away. DRAMA. I know.
*The conference talks were fabulous and inspiring. Full of hope, faith and encouragement for these troubled times.
*My dad dropped by with a little gift to help me think spring....fresh green beans...yum! Thanks dad.
*While Derek went to the priesthood session and the girls stayed home and watched Space Chimps I had a much needed GNO. Thanks ladies, I love your company.
*I enjoyed a rare and wonderful sleep in this morning.....I didn't get up until 8am!
*Now we are gathered once more and ready for another full day of faith and testimony building.
*I hope all you have the opportunity to be spiritually fed this Sabbath day as well.
*And guess what...the latest batch of snow passed us by.....I think spring is coming!

5 comments:

the mom~ said...

Sounds like a nice weekend...but I wanna see the new piano!

Wendy said...

I love General Conference too. And we have a cinnamon roll traditon too. I love that.

I had good cries all the way through the sessions. Now I am pleasantly tired. But happy with a good weekend.

Charlene said...

Loved General conference too!! Just what I needed to hear!! How do you like the new piano?

Nae said...

The new piano is beautiful! Glad to hear you found a way to honor the old piano. Great job on your training!! I'm so proud of you!

Heather said...

Nae that is the old piano. I guess I need to go take pics of the new piano and post those. It isn't as pretty, but it sounds a WHOLE lot better :)