Tuesday, September 2, 2008


Our vacation started out last Tuesday. We had never tent camped with our kids for real before this. We've camped in the back yard and a couple of weeks ago at the camp ground next to my parent's trailer. But never for real. Before last Tuesday.

The main reason for this is that Derek was sure that so much could go wrong.

Like being rained on.
And getting wet.
And having our tent leak.
And getting his sleeping bag wet.

I wasn't worried about any of that.

Even at 2am Tues. night/Wed.morning when it down poured.

FOR
TWO
HOURS!

The first night of our camp out.

Derek and Miranda
WERE

NOT

HAPPY.

The other girls slept right through it.
I figured that there was nothing that I could do about it so I went back to sleep after about an hour of praying. I couldn't change the situation so I stopped fretting and went back to dreamland.
Derek.
NOT
SO
MUCH.

But before all of this, we had a fabulous first day of our vacation. We headed up to Itasca state park first. It is absolutely beautiful up there! We took a 2 hour guided boat tour of Lake Itasca and saw a bald eagle, deer, a blue heron, an osprey, loons and a water snake. The scenery was amazing, calm and serene!

After that Miranda led us on an unplanned 2+ mile hike (in our flip flops and crocks).


I loved it, so much green. And so quiet that you could hear the trees creak in the wind.






Following a bathroom and gift shop break we drove over to the headwaters of the Mississippi.





It is inspiring to see that the mighty Mississippi starts as just a quaint little stream that even Kamiryn can wade across. The girls had a lot of fun wading, splashing, crossing the rocks and the split log bridge. They enjoyed it so much that we returned to the headwaters the next morning while we waited for our tent and sleeping bags to dry out before we packed up.


After the headwaters on Tuesday evening we went back to camp, set up and had hot dogs.

And then......

Well I've already told you what happened after that!

Up next....days two and three at Gooseberry Falls.















8 comments:

Lori said...

You lost me at tent camping. I'm glad you all had fun. I'm glad you're back.

Charlene said...

were there any mosquitoes up there? When I went to Itasca for girls camp, the mosquitoes were so bad that I have refused to go back with my family camping!

Heather said...

Char, the mosquitos and bugs in general were not bad at all. I swatted a few on our hike but don't remember any on the boat ride, in camp or at the headwaters. It was actually VERY nice up there. I loved it and can't wait to go back.

Nae said...

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all the details!!

Wendy said...

Well, I guess your tent has been broken in and is now a real camping tent. Congratulations.

It sounds beautiful.

the mom~ said...

Sounds like my kind of vacation...as much as it was Derek and Mirandas, LOL! Glad you had fun though!

Debra said...

Love your pictures! Awesome!

Christine said...

What beautiful pictures. I love to see recent pictures of the girls and that family picture is great. Glad you had fun. We can not stop the storm so I love your "dance" or in this case sleep in the rain approach. Sometimes we just have to go with it. I myself am not a very good camper so I can relate to Derek and Miranda. I hear a cricket and I'm up all night ;)