Well we are at the tail end of our first week back to school. This is the first year that I am homeschooling all 4 girls. Kamiryn is a kindergartner and even though it isn't really working out for her to be here at home (I AM GOING CRAZY), it is what we chose and so we are juggling to make it work. She loves her new curriculum. It's called Five In A Row and it is fabulous. But with that, her 2 workbooks and doing 10-15 minutes of Reading Works (our reading/writing/spelling/language arts curriculum) with her it still takes only about an hour or so and then.....she.
is.
bored.
and.
doesn't.
know.
what.
to.
do.
And so the rest of her time is spent CONTINUOUSLY interrupting the learning/teaching of the other 3 sisters. I do have plenty of out of the house time lined up for her, Tuesdays and Fridays she'll be at my mom's from 10-3, Mondays she'll go to Salena's from 12-3, Charlene's on Wednesday's from 11:45-3.
AND
STILL.
So if you have any marvelous ideas, please share. And pray for me. To be patient. With Kamiryn. Because I have tried everything that I can think of and she simply will not pass time doing ANYTHING BY HERSELF. She'll go off and play beautifully if one of her sisters will go with. But they have work to do.
AND SO.
Madison is in 2nd grade and doing great so far. Reading is still frustrating for her, but I just think that she needs to be patient with herself and that it will come. Math,art, history and science are her highlights of the day. She is very good at math and she really likes science, art and having me read history (The Story of the World) out loud. She is also loving Kamiryn's FIAR and often listens to and participates in that lesson time as well. I think she'll have a great year. She is strong willed but sweet and has been a very good listener so far.
Danelle is a 4th grader this year. Her reading has improved so very much during the last year and a half. She went from barely sounding out words in the middle of 1st grade, finally being able to read fluently by the end of 2nd grade to absolutely LOVING to read by the end of last school year. She loves the Disney Fairy series right now, but she loves historical fiction, animal stories, Harry Potter, and just about anything princess. She reads all of the time now and that is usually what she chooses to do during her lunch break and at bedtime. Danelle is a great artist and has requested that we "do more art" this year in school. She is also very good at science, memorization, RW, and helping with Kamiryn (when she wants to, which thankfully is MOST of the time). Dani is also a huge part of keeping us on track with daily family scripture study and prayer. We are grateful to have Dani in our homeschool and in our family.
Miranda. She is almost 12. Do you know of any good boarding schools?
Just kidding. Sort of. I love Miranda. She is a brilliant kid. It gets hard with 2 people trying to run the homeschool show. Miranda is doing 6th and 7th grade work this year. We are stepping up her language art/ grammar and writing this year. When she is respectful and cooperative things go amazingly well.
I loved that 15 minutes of our week the very best.
Miranda still LOVES TO READ. She is getting better at writing, but she prefers to type or dictate (which I think she is too old for). She is my co-teacher for Kamiryn and she loves that responsibility (ahem...power) and takes it seriously, helping to plan the lessons and request books. Miranda is a great helper with cooking, laundry and tending sisters when needed. Miranda keeps us on track with weekly FHE and would plan and teach every. single. one. if we let her.
Can you sense the power struggle going on at our house. Please pray for that too.
So there is a quick (or not so much) re-cap of the Hubert Family Homeschool. I'm sure there will be more to report. Kamiryn does keep us entertained after all.
Oh, and this year we are studying astronomy.....can you tell?


5 comments:
Astronmy? Had I not been told by Madi what the title of your blog meant I'd be lost and not have a clue you were studing astronmy...
It sounds like a real joy in your home, and you wonder why I PAY for Ethan to go to school, LOL!!!
I will pray for your sanity though...maybe we could ship Kami and Abram off to boarding school? Hey there's an idea. Do they do foreign exchange programs for preschoolers?
lol...now there's a thought. Kamiryn and Ethan in Japan....now that cheers me up just thinking about it.
My want to go home now!
I admire your commitment to be commited...LOL. Your girls are so special (in a very non short bus kinda way). I love them and you so much. I do admire the way you have chosen to raise them. It takes a stronger woman than I. I send my power struggle out into the lone and dreary world. She is less obnoxious when she gets home...mostly!
You do a great job and I am glad that I can help too.
The picture on your blog is that your new shelves for your books? Love the chalkboard!
I love astronomy. What a fun thing.
Boaz has a hard time alone too. He is missing his big brother during school.
Power stuggles are never fun. I'm sure you will prevail though. And she'll be an amazing adult.
Post a Comment